Blotter method for isolation of seed microflora
There Are several microorganisms which do not grow on nutrient agar medium. Therefore, the blotter method is used to isolate such microorganisms. In this method 2 – 4 folds of moist blotter are used.
- Blotter paper
- Petri dishes
- Seed samples
- Sterile distilled water
- Illuminated growth chamber with controlled temperature
- Prepare 2 – 4 folds of blotter, cut according to diameter of petri dish, put in water, drip off excess water and keep in petri dishes.
- Autoclave it so as it may be sterilized.
- Inoculate the petri dishes with 10 seeds on blotter at equidistance.
- Incubate plates for 8 days at 20 C at NUV with cycles of 2 hours light and darkness.
Examine the seeds under a binocular microscope for the presence of fungi.
Perform Gram’s staining for bacteria.
Dr. R. C. Dubey – practical microbiology