Immunoelectroblot or electroimmunoblot techniques combine the sensitivity of enzyme immunoassay with much greater specificity.
The technique is a combination of three separate procedures:
- Separation of ligand-antigen components by polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis,
- Blotting of the electrophoresed ligand fraction on nitrocellulose membrane strips
- Enzyme immunoassay or radioimmunoassay to
- Detect antibody in test sera against the various ligand fraction bands; or
- Probe with known anti sera against specific antigen bands.